Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Yom Hazikaron

I just know that this post will get me killed, but what the hell.

I've come across numerous blogs discussing Yom Hazikaron. This is a very important and emotional day where we honor and remember those who fell fighting for Israel, and it's understood that passionate feelings will be abound. Some of the blogs that made their mark with me were this one and this one. The authors lament how there are some segments in Israeli society that choose not to participate, for whatever the reasons-valid or not, in these moments. I can totally understand someone feeling insulted, disgusted and angry when someone overtly displays his choice not to participate. At least be like the Arab worker and make yourself scarce.

Then the comment, "I equate celebrating on this day to eating on Yom Kippur" on one of the posts struck a nerve. I don't see any left-wingers being upset about those flaunting their eating on Yom Kippur. In all honesty, would these people show the same level of consideration and not go to the beach on Tisha B'Av, or drive through Kikar Shabbos? I doubt it. Yom HaShoa is EXTREMELY important, but so is Tisha B'Av. Why do we not see them having the same passion for those days?

Last night, as I thought about this, a Rav in my community gave a drasha about Yiddishkeit and the importance of one achieving their closeness with God, and he touched on this point. He was speaking about how people can focus great energy on certain areas when they're actually missing the point and not achieving any gain in this goal of closeness with God.

I'm sure I'm not getting the point across as well as I should and considered not posting anything. Again, I am not looking to detract from seriousness of these days. I'm only observing. Besides, only the same 3 people read this blog anyway.

2 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Blogger Air Time said...

Here is the thing. This is a day created to remember people who died to protect other jews, and give them the right to live in Israel.

So how hard is it to stand for two minutes and just shut up.

This isn't about the government or politics or anything else. All standing up silently does is pay respect to those who died so jews could live in Israel.

Is laughing and eating through that moment of reflection and respect as bad as eating on Yom kippur? No, but few things halachikly are on that level.

But it is a slap in the face of people who died, willingly or not, al kiddush hashem.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

I agree with you. Whatever the reasons for not agreeing about this day's origination, the fact of the matter is that today it only stands for remembering those who fell protecting jews. Politics aside. Those who do not participate are being porush and are wrong. At least make yourself scarce.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home