Friday, May 20, 2005

My 9-11 Story, Part One

They say that for those who went through it, it was a life-altering experience. For me, it was definitely an experience but I wouldn't say it was life-altering. Unless you count knowing what it's like to be certain you're about to die, life-altering. Then I guess it was. I am still obsessed though. I have a ton of newspapers (just about every NY paper for 9-12 included) and magazines, hundreds of pictures I've taken off the web, videos, and my briefcase they recovered from the rubble- still wrapped in a garbage bag with the dirt still inside.

It's 4 years later, but this will be the beginning of me telling over my 9-11 experience. I've been meaning to put this story to paper for years now but have never gotten around to it. Compared to some, my experience was really nothing and yet compared to others, it was unbelievable. So I guess it depends on who's reading this.

I don't think that I have to get into any details about that Tuesday, September 11th, 2001. Unfortunately we all know. That day will be forever seared in my memory and I find myself constantly telling my story over to this day. This will be my attempt to write it.

This will be broken into a series of posts, so stick around.

Part Two

13 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger orthomom said...

I have some good stories myself. We were sure that OrthoDad didn't make it for a while that day. I'm not sure I feel like putting that down in print and reliving it all. Good luck to you. I look forward to reading.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Air Time said...

Call me unamerican or whatever, but they shoved 911 down our throats for so long I am still sick of it.

And while we're on the topic, i am really sick of them turning every Yankee playoff game into another tribute for 911.

And just so we are clear, I am really glad Rivera fell apart against the Diamondbacks that year.

But I am still looking forward to reading about your experiences.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

Just imagine how sick my wife is of hearing the story. As traumatic as it was for all of us, she still rolls her eyes as I get into telling it again.

I also agree that it's been shoved down our throats. Maybe once day I'll post about my feeling about the victims getting millions of $$ in compensation. That's for another day.

As for me, I've been telling myself I need to write my story for years now. Believe it or not, as the years go by details begin to fade. So I'm doing it. YOu can enjoy the ride (you may be disappointed) or just stick around to comment. The code, remember?

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Air Time said...

I'll stick around.

And yes, I know all about the years going by and the details blurring.

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger torontopearl said...

Re. 9/11. Yes, there are hundreds of stories to tell, and listen to, and read about. I want to hear yours.
My mother-in-law, who lives here in Toronto, said it was the worst day of her life. I couldn't really understand it: she'd nursed a husband through cancer for many years and became a widow nonetheless, she lost parents, lived through wars and hardship while growing up in Israel. How could this day have been marked the worst day of her life? Answer: September 11 is her birthday, and she always thereafter would be associating her special day with the national/international tragedy that took place on it.

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you breaking this up into multiple posts in order to get more comments?

It's like a 9 inning game, they only break it up so we can buy more beer...why not just have each side for 27 outs and move on...

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

Brew: Actually, breaking up posts decrease my chances to beat Orthomom's curent comment record. If I made it one post, I'd never get any of it out.

...And what's wrong with buying more beer?!

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Air Time said...

Did M4s blog disappear

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Air Time said...

SWs too

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Air Time said...

Forget it. they are both working now.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Air Time said...

How long should we stick around for before we are going to get something?

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Shifra said...

Hi,

Thought I'd visit your blog since you were nice enough to visit mine.
Looking forward to your story. I am also sick on 9-11 tributes as a national affair, but I very much enjoy personal stories.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

Thanks Shifra. Stick around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home