Friday, July 01, 2005

My 9-11 Story, Part Two

Part One

So you all gave up on hearing more on this story? Here’s some more.

Everyone has a story of 'hashgacha pratis' how they were saved that morning. Some were late because davening went late, some people for some reason uncharacteristically stayed to help out with the children, some people’s trains were delayed. Read all the stories and everyone has their own little personal miracle. I have a story too. I was late that morning as well, but contrary to all the other stories, my lateness almost killed me. Ironic, no?

I woke up on that Tuesday in time to make it to Minyan. My usual poor attendance for Shacharis had me feeling good that I was finally going to make it. I got up, got dressed and got in the car to go to shul. As soon as I pulled out of my driveway, I realized I had a flat. C’mon G-d, can’t you see I’m going?! I finally get out of bed on time and you do this to me?

I pull back into my driveway to change the tire. Now you have to realize that, as a true Jewish boy, I know nothing about cars or fixing tires. In fact, until that day, I never changed a tire in my life. That’s what AAA or Geico are there for. Or friends you can call who do know how. However, I was determined to join the ranks of manhood by changing my own tire for once. I get out the donut and the thingamajig that you use to jack the car up. I find where in the manual it tells you where to put the thingamajig and jack the car up. Everything’s going smooth and dandy until I start taking the lug nuts off.

You see, no one told me you can’t change a tire on an incline, and apparently my driveway has a slight incline. So there I am, the rear of my car up in the air, and I’m grunting and sweating as I’m trying to get those damn lug nuts off, when I hear this unnatural groan come from my car, and it starts moving. I immediately know what happening and I jump clear. With a nice crash, my car falls down off the jack and rests on the partially removed flat tire.

Shit.

I may be a tough guy, but I know when I’m beat. Time to call the professionals. I call Geico and have to wait around till he gets there as I’m obviously not making Minyan today. The guy arrives and I give him credit for not laughing too hard in my face; though there’s no question in my mind that I’m to be the topic in the tow truck mechanic locker room later that day. Thankfully I didn't too any damage to the car and he can fix my mess. If I rush, I may not be too late for work so I stick around long enough to make sure he has the situation under control and then leave for work- leaving the wife to deal with tipping him.

Nothing eventful that I can remember happened on the train to work. I get to the subway stop at the office, walk up the stairs and can immediately tell that something unusual is up.

That’s it for now. Time to do some work.

28 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Blogger AMSHINOVER said...

i deduce from this story that avoiding shachris is good

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

At least that's my excuse

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Air Time said...

Could you remind us what happned in part ! again. This would be like SW continuing his tooth malach story after four months.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

First of all, is this the original Airtime, or his conquerer?

Second, I'll put some links in for those challenged individuals.

 
At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't understand. When did you daven?

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

Thanks. You HAD to make a note of that.

Apparently I wasn't meant to daven that day.

I honestly don't remember. Maybe if I was more anonymous here I'd remember better.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Air Time said...

only the true Air Time posts as Air Time. The Air Time heir posts as veev.

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Air Time said...

how anonymous do you need to be to say you didnt have a chance to daven that day?

Do I have to stop reading?

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

I don't think you need to start reading Air, that was more directed at my holey commenter. I think the blogdrawl is getting to you.

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Air Time said...

I actually do miss blogging. I have started two new blogs since I quit, but I don't get the rush from Air Time.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

now you tell me. Nice. I looked and found one, but don't thisnk it's one you want me commenting on.

Are you really gone for good? As much as we all like Veev...

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Air Time said...

Once I have a bit more content on the team eight one that is going to get separated from the air time name and get its own place. For now it is OK where it is.

The other one is anonymous for now. I think in a few weeks I will start blogging again for real. We'll have to wait and see.

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I hate it when bloggers post under alternative names. Shameless.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger orthomom said...

We haven't gotten any real story out of this yet. Where's the excitement and the intrigue? I'm waiting with baited breath. But I'll warn you, I won't be able to hold it as long as we had to wait between the first two installments.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

hey hey! Save the 'tude for Dov Bear.

Gimme a break here. I'm trying to stretch this out into a few posts. Besides, that tire story coulv'e been apost post of its own. It just happened to happen that morning.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am still having trouble with this davening thing. Why didn't you just walk to shul if you had a flat?

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger orthomom said...

True. The tire story was cute. Fair enough. But are you saying no 'tude allowed on this blog?

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

Krum, I still had to change the tire, no? The wife needed to use it in a couple of hours.

Mom, Gimme all the 'tude you want as long as you stick around.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger orthomom said...

Always.

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

True. So the delay was really about heloing the wife. Gives the story a different complexion. No?

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Air Time said...

I just reread this. You tip the guy who fixes your flat tires? Man, you NY people will tip for everything.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

I agree. We tip WAY too much. I think I'm comfortable tipping when it's someone getting me out of a jam- even if it's his job and especially if it's fixing my f-up.

I know people who tip the gas station attendant for filling the car.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I don't know anyone who doesn't pump himself these days. With gas prices the way rthey are every penny counts.

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Other than when we are in NJ, and the law requires it, I never have someone fill my tank. I don't even know where they have full serve here.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Air Time said...

Are we going to wait another 6 weeks for part 3?

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

Most probably. Not all of us have a wife who's capable of taking up the slack.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

NJ requires full service? There's a place near me where the full service price is not higher than the self-serve. The place has lines out to the street.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Air Time said...

whenever we are in NJ they always tell me I cant fill up my own tank.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home