Thursday, June 09, 2005

Mouthing of to the Rosh

AirTime just triggered a yeshiva memory of mine with this post of his. Maybe I shouldn'’t call it a ‘memory since I don'’t remember any of it, but my roommates told me what happened.

Israel. I don't remember when in the year this was, but I had just spent the whole night hanging out with friends in town and caught the first bus in the morning back to yeshiva. While I was still decently inebriated, it was early and everyone was still sleeping so I managed to get into bed with no one the wiser and immediately passed out.

Soon after that, the Rosh Yeshiva began his '‘vekking'’ rounds. He'’d go room to room, calling all the boys names in a sing-song voice, telling them it was time for shacharis and time to get up thank the creator. That sing-song can be annoying if you'’re trying to sleep (his intention maybe?) but I was oblivious to it all. I was dead to the world.

Eventually he made his way to our room and started working on me.

"“Moshe*, shtei auf, shtei auf. It'’s time for shacharis."”

...…no response from me. I'’m still out.

"C'’mon Moshe, let's go. Get up. It's time to daven."
(still singing)

...silence.

Now he reaches up (I'’m in the top bunkbed facing away from him) and begins to shake me in an attempt to raise the dead. "“Let'’s go Moshe. Get up"

He did manage to get a response along the lines of "“mmphaetrwrhjsfd".

"“Moshe, you were out last night? When did you get back? (still shaking me) Let'’s go, turn over so I can see you."

...silence

"“Moshe, turn over. I want to see you. Turn over."

...I'm still out

"“Moshe, TURN OVER. I want to see you."”

This went on for a little bit more until I responded with what I still can'’t figure out until this day:

"“I CAN SEE YOU FINE FROM HERE, BOB!"

Now the silence is coming from the Rosh Yeshiva.

"“Ahhh. I see you had a good night"

And he walked out and let me sleep, leaving my roommates crying with laughter.


*for the sake of what anonymity I have left, I’ve changed my name here


13 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Blogger torontopearl said...

This post is rather different from your comment on Seraphic Secret today, huh?

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

A tad. Which do you like better?

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger torontopearl said...

JPT, they are VERY DIFFERENT POVs of the yeshiva environment. IN this current posting, your rosh yeshiva could have slapped your butt real hard to rouse you...but he didn't. You won on your own merit with him. In the comments on Robert's site, you needed your father to help you beat the system.
Sickening to think that men who are trying to teach youngsters derech eretz are not practicing it themselves!

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger torontopearl said...

POVs is the wrong word, i realized. these are depictions/scenarios...both rather different.

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger orthomom said...

Good one, uh...Moshe!

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Air Time said...

Pearl - I don't see the connection between the two stories, other than their general setting.

Most rabbis learn to stop hitting kids when the kids are taller and bigger than they are.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

Pearl, big difference between a cheder elementary school and a post-high school yeshiva in Israel. For one reason, like Air noted, I'm bigger in the second.

Sometime I WISH I was back in that elementary school, but armed with the knowledge I have today. I remember them telling us that there was no such person as 'Yoshke', that dinosaurs never existed- the apikorsim take bones from different animals just to fool us all. I remember my 6th grade rebbe (the sadistic one) spending a whoe day teaching the class this song that I think is the 'Neturei Karta' anthem. You get the gist.

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hard to beleive that you went to yesodei Hatorah. You would have been better off in eitz chaim.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Air Time said...

Maybe you didnt know him then. I think he was in the right place.

 
At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I knew him. Camp Segula

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

Anonymous: I most probably would have.

Camp Segula? I totally forgot about that place. You can only be one of two people then - and they used to 'make out' all the time. You one of them?

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger torontopearl said...

you wondered on my other blog if you might know me--i truly doubt it. for one, i'm no doubt at least 10 years older than you, i'm guessing, if not more. i think we really moved in different circles, were raised in different types of environments, schools, shuls, etc. but you can write me offline and maybe we can discuss if we do know anyone in common -- i mostly know names of people and families without knowing them themselves.
good shabbos. good yom tov.

 
At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

see my best site -

[url=http://trailfire.com/tramadol] tramadol 100 mg no prescription [/url]

http://trailfire.com/tramadol
[url=http://trailfire.com/tramadol] cod tramadol [/url]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home