Monday, May 16, 2005

Oneg at the Rebbe


Seems that my co-bloggers, Air Time and Still Wonderin' are re-living their high school years and I'm loving it. For one, I've managed to purge most of my earlier years' recollections and occasionally the good stories went with the bad. So it's good to get them back! It's also great hearing stories from someone else's perspective.

So here's my contribution to the theme.

Even though most of the students were local, my high school had mandatory dorming from 10th grade and on. It actually wasn't too bad and for the most part, a good time was had by all. We all went home for Shabbos and every 3rd Shabbos (or was it every 4th? I can't remember. It's the purging again) was an 'In-Shabbos'. Everyone came back to Yeshiva for Shabbos and all davening and meals were together. On Friday night after the meal, everyone would go to their rebbe's house for an oneg. Kind of a drag, but that was one of the mandatory experiences, so you went with the flow.

This particular story is dedicated to Born Abroad, a recent visitor to Air Time. This happened to him. Don't bother visiting his Blog yet though, he's got nothing there yet. He must have a real job.

So there we were, all of us sitting and fressing in the rebbi's house (I can't remember which one) when Born Abroad silently slips away to take care of an urgent, bathroom need. I'm sure he felt quite proud with himself that no one noticed his disappearance. A few minutes later, the rebbe was giving some sort of d'var torah, the room is quiet when suddenly there's this faint voice calling out from somewhere in the house. The rebbe stops talking to better hear this voice. No one can quite make it out, but it seems to be coming from somewhere in the front of the house..

"Hello...?" the voice calls.

Silence.

"Helloooo..?" the voice call again, this time louder.

"Can anyone hear me...??"....

Everyone is now looking at each other, trying to figure out who this can possibly be and what could he possibly want when the voice calls out again..

"I NEED TOILET PAPER!!!"

7 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Blogger Air Time said...

I have a feeling that was before I arrived.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

I think it was 9th or 10th grade.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger orthomom said...

I think I'm going to stay out of this conversation.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

BA: Methinks you didn't know. What it that urgent?? You could have taken some of the nice napkins from the oneg table :-P

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

mom: there's only so far you'll go to be part of our clique, huh?

 
At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must've been Blumenfeld's house

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

Going Anonymous won't help you Brew.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home