Friday, April 15, 2005

Strep Arrives

Here’s a thought.

In the beginning of last week, my 4 year old son came down with strep and went on antibiotics. Happens all the time; too often I think. By the Wednesday he was mostly feeling better but on Thursday morning he started feeling sick again. I don’t usually get too perturbed when my child gets ill because my wife makes a great nurse. This time was different though because come Thursday night, my wife really started complaining that she felt like crap. Really complaining, which she rarely does. In my family, I’m the designated kvetch and I don’t take kindly to anyone encroaching on my turf.

So, Friday morning the doctor comes to the house (that’s right, he comes to the house!) and her rapid culture was negative. My wife insists that it’s wrong and that she definitely has strep so he gives her some antibiotics to tide the weekend over until the lab results come in.

A little while later she calls me in the office and tells me I’m going to have to come home from work very early so that I can help her prepare for Shabbos. Now that’s when I started getting nervous. Me? Prepare for Shabbos? Other that shaving, showering and maybe putting the extra leaf in the dining room table, I’m not sure how to prepare for Shabbos. But she’s real sick and if I don’t, I’ll never get to kvetch again. I know, I know, I spoil her. (for all those who are starting to get real pissed off here, I’m kidding.)

So I go home early, and I’m put to work. Grating the potatoes for the kugel. Seven of them. By hand. (I forgot to mention that we were having two families over for Shabbos lunch.) Clean the kitchen, get the dining room ready, bathe the kids and lots of other stuff I can’t even remember. I think I blocked it all out, but I do remember that Shabbos came out nice.

After all was said and done, I walked away with two thoughts:

  1. I need to appreciate my wife more for all she does, especially erev shabbos. It’s a LOT of work!
  2. Wives are not allowed to get sick. That’s our specialty.

...and she was right, she did have strep.

4 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, Blogger Air Time said...

You came through when I asked you to, thats the important thing here.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

yes. So I'm still aloowed to kvetch.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Air Time said...

I am capable of doing just about anything in the house except bathing my daughter.

She screams when i pour water over her head and I lack the patience to talk her into laying her head into the water.

After a traumatic bath experience it takes the wife 45 minutes to get her to go into the bath again.

 
At 1:28 AM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

Air: You gotta watch the fine line between being capable and spoiling. You don't want to cross that line.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home