Thursday, August 04, 2005

Baseball Game

When you have kids, every Sunday is a new exersize in figuring out what the day's activities willc be. Will it be the zoo? A local fair? Arranging play-dates with friends? Or will today be one of those Sunday's where you just lounge at home and do nothing?

Personally, I don't remember being entertained like that. Growing up, we went places maybe on Chol Ha'Moed. That was it. I wasn't taken to ball games- we filled our day on our own.

A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine was telling me how he took his kids to a local minor league, Class A Baseball game and they all had a blast. My two older sons are already at the point where they love baseball but it's just too expensive to take them frequently so this sounded like a good plan. Plus, I was told that the park was small and that the whole experience was geared towards kids. $11 a ticket didn't hurt either. So I went online and bought tickets for me, my wife and my two older sons for this past Sunday's game. I'd leave the 2-year old with my mother-in-law.

On Saturday night, I went online and saw that this Sunday was going to be Grandparent's Day where grandparents got free admission and got to walk the bases with their grandkids after the game. My mother-in-law loved this and now decided she wanted in so we brought the youngest too.

We made a whole trip out of it. We drove into the city (where I discovered that parking there would cost me more than the whole outing) and took the ferry to the ball bark. When we got to the ticket window I told them that I had a grandparent with me for the promotion. When she just looked at her and gave her the free ticket, I was waiting for some fireworks. I mean she just glanced at her and took her for a grandmother. Without asking for proof. Uh oh. At least request to see her AARP card. She really doesn't look old at all. Really. (She doesn't read this blog). But no fireworks. I think she was just too psyched about taking the kids on the field

The stadium was like my friend had told me. No matter where you sat you had a great seat. Kosher food. Mincha in the owner's office after the 6th inning. My youngest climbing on top of the dugout. Grandparents & kids walked the bases after the game. Great mascots keeping the kids laughing. What more could you ask for?

All in all a great time and they now have 4 new fans.

8 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Blogger orthomom said...

Yeah, we took my oldest and 8 friends to a S.I. Yankees game for his birthday party a few years back. It was great, though I think the tickets were only $8, if I remember correctly. And we parked in Staten Island, so we saved the money there. Though I guess taking a ferry was part of the fun.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

Yes, the ferry was part of the fun. Next time I drive though. I can't afford all that fun. I have tuition to pay.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Air Time said...

I love going to minor league games. When I was a kid we would go see the Charleston Charlies whenever we were in West Virginia.

During the lockout we went to see some minor league hockey and had a great time there too.

The best part is the players are accessible, the tickets are affordable and the stadium/arena is small and intimate, making you feel like you are part of the action.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Air Time said...

What I meant was...

I like you blog. It is really cool. Come check out my blog where we have great discussions and occasionally a crazy S&M poet rolls on through.

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

You should try going to this game. It's a nice trat for the kids and relatively inexpensive.

As for downtime, I totally agree. Today, downtime means TV or video games. We try to have our kids play on their own as much as possible. They never watch TV (heck, I haven't watched TV in like 4 months) and occasionally they'll get to watch a magic school bus video.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

Since 97, I've taken my children yearly to the AA Bowie Baysox. When they're younger they get a ride on the carousel. Otherwise they watch the game.
Highlights: In 2001 I got a foul ball. My children were impressed. In 2003 we stuck around after the game for autographs and someone from the grounds crew threw an old ball to one of my sons.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

Maybe I'll get a ball one day. I certainly have a better chance than at a pro game.

 
At 2:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my toyota matrix accessories site.
Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home