Friday, July 22, 2005

As a result of the recent London bombing, here in NY police will be 'randomly' (for example, every 1 out of 10) checking bags of those entering the subway system. I'm told that if you're asked to open your bag, you still have the option of saying no, but you won't be allowed in the subway.

Of course the usual liberal whinies are crying about their lost libery and privacy. I've got nothing to hide so I have no problem with it.

I DO have a couple of problems with their methods though.

First of all, the only way searches work is if you do profile. Playing it safe and keeping it random doesn't work. Ask the Israelis. You end up wasting time searching a 90-year old grandmother in a wheelchair.

Secondly, imagine this scenario:

You're a terrorist who wants to blow himself up on a train. You're carrying your backpack and looking all nonchalant until an officer stops you.

"Pardon me sir, may I see what's in your bag?"

Crap! you think. What now?!

"Ummmmm, and if I say I'd prefer not?"

"Well sir, you're entitled to your privacy, but we can't let you on the train then."

"Hmmm. OK." and you leave and go to another stop where once again your odds are 90% that you'll make it through.

Brilliant.

2 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Blogger orthomom said...

My opinion is very similar to yours. I have no patience for the complaints of people who feel that this puts their freedoms in jeopardy. I'm not sure how much this policy is going to improve our security either, however. I think a lot of it is based solely on PR, and making New Yorkers feel more secure in the wake of the London bombings.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

Mom, I agree that it's more PR than anything else. Problem is, those of us with a brain aren't fooled.

Swiftie, probably a temporary 'work in progress'. They say it will only last a couple of weeks. Way to go on announcing THAT one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home