Wednesday, November 09, 2005

A Rebbe Story

It's always other people's posts that get me to write something here. I'm really not much of a writer, I'll be the first one to say it.

Airtime is back from the Holy Land and posting again. Welcome back Air. (On that note, I've also noticed that Still Wonderin' seems to have crawled back out from under the bed; at least just for a few minutes at a time. Seems he still has bills to pay.)

Airtime's post today reminds me of a story I once heard.

This guy brings his little boy to the Rebbe (I don't remember the rebbe, but does it really matter?). When he gets his audience he says to the rebbe, "Rebbe, I think we need to enroll my son into advanced studies. I know he's only 2 but he's going to grow to be a godol b'torah and lead klal yisrael!"

"Hmmmm" remarked the rebbe while thoughtfully stroking his beard, "you think he's a genius. And why is that?"

The father, still excited, answered that "he's always walking around the house wrapping his hand around his other arm like he's putting tefillin on! At 2 years old! I'm telling you Rebbe, he's going to be great."

Still stroking his beard, the Rebbe answers, "I hate to break it to you, but the kid's not a genius. You just need to start going to minyan in the morning."

But who am I to talk.

2 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Blogger Air Time said...

Nice.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger and so it shall be... said...

I heard Rabbi ?? Orlovsky (of the bootlegged "Even Nice Jewish boys are Pigs" tape fame) say something like this in a speech in Brooklyn a few years back. It got a big laugh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home