Friday, August 26, 2005

I Love NY

My mother-in-law's sister was recently in town visiting from Israel. Since she loves going to the city, my MIL decided to take her to a Broadway show. Now I've personally never tried it, but apparently there's this place near Times Square called TKTS where you can get Broadway tickets for that day at half price and as expected, there's always a long line.

They were told that the windows closes at 2:00 (remember this key part of this tale) so my MIL and her sister get there a little before that. The lines were long as usual but they managed to make it to the window with a couple of minutes to spare. The following is what happened:

MIL: Do you have tickets to "The Producers"?

TKTS: Yes. How many would you like?


MIL: We'll take 2 please.


TKTS: OK. That'll be $100.

My MIL then starts laying the bills down on the counter. $20, $40, $60, $80...

TKTS:
2:00! *SLAM!* and pulls the window shut.
My MIL is left standing there with what I would assume was an incredulous look on her face, and $80 still sitting on the counter.

They did not get to see "The Producers".

True Story. You gotta love NY.

4 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger AMSHINOVER said...

i'm sorry had i known it was your MIL,i would've waited till she got to 199$ before shutting the window

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

ah, but it was all 20's.

But it seems that you do know her! (kidding. she happens to be a great MIL)

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Shifra said...

Wow, that's crazy!
I know they close at 2PM and everyone in the line has to leave but I didn't realize they close MID-TRANSACTION.

VERY NY.
Now she has a great story though...

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger torontopearl said...

You REALLY have to find some column in some magazine (whether NY-based or not doesn't matter)and submit this story. It leaves me totally dumbfounded, mouth hanging open, each time I read it again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home